Before children, most of us couldn’t imagine ever ‘letting ourselves go’. We made resolute affirmations that we would be That Mum, peppering her Instagram feed with chic OOTD selfies and perfectly groomed eyebrows. But once we enter motherhood, finding time to do all we have to do is a struggle.
I myself have been guilty of skipping the odd shower and stepping out of the house bare-faced during the early days of motherhood. I’ve come to realise that a shower and a touch of makeup are the bare minimum rituals I need to keep up my self-esteem. Looking put-together helps tremendously with making me feel attractive, confident and empowered.
So here I share my 5-minute makeup routine that can help a busy mum feel amazing with minimal effort.
Step 1: Primer
A good primer covers a multitude of flaws by smoothing out pores and preps the skin for even foundation application.
Apply Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF15 with your fingertips all over the face. On days I feel confident enough to sport the bare-faced look, I just wear this primer without foundation. It gives that put-together, ‘I woke up like this’ look.
Step 2: Base
Warm a bit of Josie Maran Protect and Perfect SPF47 tinted moisturiser between your fingertips. Then smooth on skin to give it a subtle glow and even finish.
Alternatively, you can take a page out of Kerry Washington’s book by skipping the foundation and just dab on concealer like RMS Beauty “Un” Cover Up under the eyes or to cover any blemishes and redness.
Set with a light dusting of Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder.
Step 3: Cheeks
Brighten up your face with a touch of blush or bronzer on the apples of your cheeks and along the cheekbones. Cheek stains, like tarte Cheek Stain, make for speedy application and easy blending. Whilst a powder blush infused with photoluminescent particles, like Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush, imparts a luminous glow.
Step 4: Lashes
I’m not exaggerating when I say I would never step out of my house without mascara and lipstick. A coat (or two) of mascara instantly transforms my ‘rabbit in the headlights’ look to Bambi. Apply By Terry Mascara Terrybly after curling it with Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler.
Step 5: Eyebrows
Step 6: Lips
Finish off your look with a swipe of ILIA Lipstick or Bobbi Brown Lip Gloss on your pout. A nude peach or nude pink is the most flattering shade for daily wear. Or try this science-backed theory for finding your perfect lipstick shade.
5 Tips to Help You Shorten Your Make-Up Routine
1. A consistent, weekly mask routine works wonders towards maintaining a smooth complexion. That means less time and products needed to create a smooth base. Try Edible Beauty Bloom of Youth Infusion Mask for an instant skin pick-me-up, Aesop Chamomile Concentrate Anti-Blemish Masque to keep break-outs in check or Herbivore Botanicals Brighten – Pineapple Enzyme + Gemstone Instant Glow Mask that gently exfoliates for a radiant glow.
2. Invest in a good eye cream. La prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Eye Lift Cream diminishes puffiness and dark circles, so you can skip the under-eye concealer altogether.
3. Eyebrow shaping and eyebrow tinting treatments help define your eyebrows so you can get away without drawing them in.
4. Palettes, like the cult-favourite Urban Decay Naked and RMS Beauty Signature Set, not only saves you from digging into your makeup drawer multiple times for different products, it also takes the guesswork out of colour-matching.
5. Multi-purpose Products. Opt for products that do double-duty like RMS Beauty “Un” Cover Up (concealer and lightweight foundation), or Vapour Aura Multi Use Stain (delivers a flush of colour to eyes, cheek and lips).
By Alena Couzet
Alena Couzet is a coffee-guzzling, Ewok-loving beach junky and mother of two living in Queensland, Australia. Formerly in sales and marketing, she is now a stay-at-home mum trying to balance living a sustainable, eco-friendly lifestyle with her love for travel, good food and online shopping.